Sending e-mail

peter.jones.rpi at gmail.com peter.jones.rpi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:44:18 EDT 2008

On Aug 28, 3:23 pm, gordyt <gor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter here is an example.  I just tried it and it works fine.
>
> from smtplib import SMTP
> HOST = "smtp.gmail.com"
> PORT = 587
> ACCOUNT = ""  # put your gmail email account name here
> PASSWORD = ""  # put your gmail email account password here
>
> def send_email(to_addrs, subject, msg):
>     server = SMTP(HOST,PORT)
>     server.set_debuglevel(1)    # you don't need this
>     server.ehlo()
>     server.starttls()
>     server.ehlo()
>     server.login(ACCOUNT, PASSWORD)
>     server.sendmail(ACCOUNT, to_addrs,
>         """From: %s\r\nTo: %s\r\nSubject: %s\r\n\r\n%s\r\n.\r\n""" % (
>             ACCOUNT, ",".join(to_addrs), subject, msg
>         )
>     )
>     server.quit()
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>     send_email( ['some... at somewhere.com'], 'this is just a test',
>         "hello world!" )

Thanks to everyone who's replied. gordyt, I didn't dare dream anyone
would hand me fully functional source code, so thank you very much for
that. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me, likely because of some
complication from my company's firewall.

All things considered, going through Gmail is an unnecessary step if I
can run a server on my own PC. Is there any hope of this working? Can
it be done easily? Is there anything I should know about the
SMTPServer object, and are there any other modules I'd need?

Thanks again for all the help.