Bizarre method keyword-arg bug.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Aug 18 14:34:43 EDT 2008

Robert Brown wrote:

> You may find the above surprising, but Common Lisp users expect the default
> argument expression to be evaluated anew when need by a function call:

> I find the Lisp approach more reasonable.  Also, an argument based on
> performance for Python's current behavior seems dubious, given the
> language's other performance robbing design choices.

well, I'd say an argument based on "Common Lisp users" is a lot more
dubious ;-)

(and some of us are actually capable of writing pretty fast code in
Python.  slowing the language down (or crippling it) because some blub
programmers screams "bug!" instead of looking things up in the handbook
when they stumble upon something they haven't seen before doesn't strike
me as a good use of anyone's time.)

</F>