Wrapping C with Python

RPM1 rpm9deleteme at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 18:45:54 EDT 2008

Anish Chapagain wrote:
> On 4 Aug, 14:14, brad <byte8b... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> RPM1 wrote:

>>> Basically you just compile your C code as a regular C code dll.  ctypes
>>> then allows you to access the functions in the dll very easily.
>> Does that work with C++ code too or just C?
>
> Hi..
> I havenot tried..before with dll, is there any help material and for
> me my API in C has almost 20 c files, so will it be feasible
>
> anish

It is worth looking into it.  I found ctypes to be very easy.  I had the
example up and running in minutes.  I have also figured out how to do
things like return arrays to Python.  It isn't that hard.  I like the
fact that I don't have to think about reference counting or PyObjects
etc.  If you are doing simple function calls ctypes is very easy.

My C code looks like C code.  It has no Python stuff at all.  My Python
code has just a few calls to the ctypes module.  I guess that's one
thing I like about it is that my C code looks like C code and my Python
code looks like Python code, (not much spilling over).

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems a lot easier than SWIG to me.

Patrick