no string.downer() ?

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 23:23:53 EDT 2008

On Aug 28, 11:34 am, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 11:25 am, Asun Friere <afri... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 28, 10:28 am, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
>
> > > Out of the possible diagnoses (trolling, incredible stupidity, feeble
> > > joke attempt) of the cause of the ensuing upper/downer question, I'm
> > > going with the third.
>
> > Never ascribe to humour that which can be adequately explained by
> > increadible stupidity!  On the other hand given up/down vs. high/low,
> > upper/downer might appear logical to someone who doesn't know that
> > "downcase" is called 'lowercase.'
>
> He knows that s.upper().swapcase() does the job, without having read
> the swapcase docs where it is screamingly obvious that lowercase is
> the antonym of uppercase???

:shrugs, Why not?  One does a dir() on one's string and sees 'upper'
and 'swapcase' (but fails to see or understand 'lower'), and takes an
educated guess at what they do.  In any case that was only a caveat to
the point I was trying to make, namely that you were probably being
too generous towards said poster.