programming toolbox

Krishnakant Mane hackingkk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 12:17:38 EDT 2008

hi william,
I am slightly more experienced in python than you (2 years to be presise).
Before this I handled pritty heavy as in coding and as in usage
projects in java.
Untill I came into the wonderful and powerful world of free software,
I programmed in c++ using borlands c++ compiler and IDE.
But having all this experience (I still use c for some system
programming), python has hooked me.
I am so hooked up to python that I have explored all things that is
possible in python to the extent of zope and python cgi.
If you find that wxpython is any harder then try java swing.
By the way have you looked at pygtk.  It is not just rich with widgets
from gtk but also has great power and flexibility.
And since you know wxpython, learning pygtk would be a snap.
But as the saying goes, "one shoo does not fit all ".
Obviously if you are thinking about system programming like writing
device drivers etc, you will have to keep c in your programming
thinkbox.
And I find php much better comfortable and powerfull enough for web
server programming/ scripting.
I can only say one thing.
If vb facinated you on windows then, python is a cross platform vb
with power of c in many aspects.
although as fellow hackers rightly said on this thread previously,
there is no harm learning some languages like java which have long
life.
Keep away from rubbish like c# and similar .net based language.
They are very short lived and lak many powerfull features.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.