sending to an xterm

Edwin.Madari at VerizonWireless.com Edwin.Madari at VerizonWireless.com
Fri Aug 8 17:47:29 EDT 2008

since I do not have access to xterm, here is the interactive session for spawning bash(another session if you will), sending ls command to it, and retrieving the results.
things to note are:
1. after spawning expect for the prompt, timeout, and eof #which ever happens first
2. return value is the action that matched
3. if prompt matched, the 'before' has the results
4. even the command 'ls' with '\r\n' will be in the results.
------------actual session--------------------------
madared at WNJ10002LBITAZV:/c/Edwin/Projects/expect
$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 18 2007, 16:56:43)
[GCC 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)] on cygwin
>>> import pexpect
>>> c = pexpect.spawn('/bin/bash')
>>> c.expect([pexpect.TIMEOUT, pexpect.EOF, '\$ '])
2
>>> c.before
'\x1b[?1034hmadared at WNJ10002LBITAZV:/c/Edwin/Projects/expect\r\n'
>>> c.after
'$ '
>>> c.sendline('ls')
3
>>> c.expect([pexpect.TIMEOUT, pexpect.EOF, '\$ '])
2
>>> c.before
'ls\r\nautoexpect.exp\tscript.exp\r\nmadared at WNJ10002LBITAZV:/c/Edwin/Projects/expect\r\n'
>>> c.after
'$ '

>>> exit()
madared at WNJ10002LBITAZV:/c/Edwin/Projects/expect
$

good luck....
Edwin