looking for IDE advice or workflow tips

William Pursell bill.pursell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 02:01:54 EDT 2008

On 4 Aug, 19:08, "kpier... at gmail.com" <kpier... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a novice developer at best and often work with the R statistical
> programming language. I use an editor called TINN-R which allows me to
> write a script, then highlight a few lines and send them to the
> interpreter. I am using pythonwin and it lacks this funtionality (that
> I can tell) and when I copy and paste lines into the interpreter only
> the first line is evaluated and the rest appears as returned text.
>
> Is there an editor that allows me to send a few lines out of many
> lines of code at a time?

Jumping over your specific problem and going to a bigger one:
you need to learn a major editor.  This means either vi or
emacs, preferably both, but learn at least one of them really
well.  As a developer, your editor is your main tool.  It is
worth spending time learning your editor very well, and you
need to make sure it is an editor that will exist in 5 years.
Also, someday you will find yourself staring at a console
with nothing available but ed, and you will be glad of the
time you spent learning vi.