What Python looks like

William Pursell bill.pursell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 01:34:59 EDT 2008

On 5 Aug, 16:08, Brett Ritter <swift... at swiftone.org> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 3:43 pm, Gary Herron <gher... at islandtraining.com> wrote:
>
> > A page of Python code looks *clean*,  with not a lot of
> > punctuation/special symbols and (in particular) no useless lines

> My first impression of Python was that it was visually hard to parse.
<snip>>
> Put another way, imagine math went from:
> 2 + 2 = 4
> to:
> two plus two equals four
> and then someone decided to abbreviate:
> two pl two eq four

That looks more like tcl than python to me.

My first reaction to python was a strong dislike
of indentation as a block delimeter and
the convention of using '__*__' names.  I got over
my issue with indentation fairly quickly, but still
don't care for the excessive underscores.  However,
overall I thought it was extremely clean and
easy to write.  By the time I saw Python, I had
already essentially given up on Perl, but it
only took 20 minutes going through the tutorial to
completely nail down the lid on the coffin of
my Perl self.

To summarize the first impression: clean, simple,
powerful, and a lot of potential.