Peer-to-Peer Chat Program

Avinash Vora avinashvora at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 04:51:33 EDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Trevor Slocum wrote:

> Python seemed like the right choice for writing a peer-to-peer
> application, as the support for sockets is adequate and the cross-
> platform ability is nominal.  That's why I searched around for P2P
> frameworks in Python, and didn't have much luck.

I've had this problem too.

> Like I said, I didn't know anything about P2P before this, and I'm
> sure much of what I've done so far can be improved upon.  That's why
> I'm posting here.  I'd like to make an open request to anyone who
> would like to assist me in the application development to reduce the
> resource usage and improve the overall network efficiency.  Even
> simple "Ah, I saw you were doing this in your code, I recommend you
> do this..." would be of great help.

Well, I have about the same level of experience that you do, but I'll
take a look at the code and see if I can offer assistance.

> If you are interested, you may view the Google Code page at http://code.google.com/p/kaishi/
>  or checkout the SVN repository directly using http://kaishi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

I haven't read the code itself yet, but I'm extremely interested in
the project.  I'm a fairly experienced Pythonista, yet I've never
really worked on networked projects in any programming language
before.  Not only does it interest me, but it's a good way to expand
my knowledge base.

> I have proper hosting and can set up a specific website for
> collaboration on project ideas and such if support is carried after
> this message.  I thank anyone who has taken their time to read this.

I would be interested in collaborating in a project like this, I
think.  Feel free to email me privately to talk further if you wish.

--
Avi