Tkinter tkMessageBox problem - message box is displayed with an additional window

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 10:54:44 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:29 AM,  <dudeja.rajat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on Windows Platform
>
> I'm facing some problem with the tkMessageBox. My code is as below:
>
> import tkMessageBox
> import Tix
> from Tkinter import *
>
> if len(installedLibPath) != len(listOfLibraries):
>        if tkMessageBox.askyesno("Question", \
>                                 type='yesno', icon='warning', \
>                                 message="Some of the libraries are
> not installed. Do you wish to continue with the remaining?"):
>        myRoot = Tix.Tk()
>        myAppGUIObject = myAppGUI(myRoot)    #Class for my GUI
>        myRoot.mainloop()
> else:
>        sys.exit(0)

It is good to post a short code sample that demonstrates the problem,
but it has to run by itself at least.

> The Message Box is called before the Tix.Tk mainloop(). The problems
> are as under :
>
> 1. Since the message box is displayed before the mainloop() is
> started, the message box is displayed with another window that is
> blank. This should not be displayed.
>
> 2. As a results of this messagebox (called before the mainloop) the
> original Gui started by mainloop doesnot work as desired. Some of the
> checkbuttons are displayed as unset (i.e un-ticked). These
> checkbuttons used to be set at initialization before I stared using
> this messagebox.

tkMessageBox blocks till you finish it, maybe that is what is causing
your problem but it is hard to tell what you are doing wrong in that
myAppGui without seeing it (preferably reduced code demonstrating the
problem).

Now.. an attempt to solve your problem. Tk always has a root window
going on, so that "another window" is inevitable, but you can hide and
show it again when needed. You could do something like this:

import tkMessageBox
import Tkinter

class App(object):
    def __init__(self, master):
        self.master = master
        print "tkMessageBox is gone now"

root = Tkinter.Tk()
root.withdraw()
tkMessageBox.askyesno("Question", message="Do you use Python?",
    type='yesno', icon='warning', master=root)
root.deiconify()

app = App(root)
root.mainloop()

> Please help.