Memory Leek, critique me. Thanks!!!

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Aug 29 14:58:18 EDT 2008

Kevin McKinley wrote:

> #  I posted a few days ago about a memory leak that I think i'm having
> #  with my first Tkinter program. I've had trouble pinpointing what is
> #  wrong so i thought i would submit the code and see if anyone would like
> #  to critique it.

Don't create new widgets every time you switch the tab. Instead hide/show
the relevant page. You may be able to reuse the idlelib.tabpage.TabPageSet
class for that.

> #  I have one more problem that i can't figure out either.  There are a
> #  bunch of Entry widgets that require number values.
> #  My problem is if someone inputs a letter or space the program  will
> #  have error that makes part of the Program nonfunctional.

You can wrap access to the DoubleVars with try...except, e. g.:

try:
    value = self.COG1.get()
except ValueError:
    # show an error message