rules of thumb for cross os code

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Sat Aug 23 11:29:35 EDT 2008

In article <76c97ae9-2ca0-4419-8630-c7cf6159811a at v16g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
DwBear75  <dwbear75 at gmail.com> wrote:
>I am considering using python as a replacement for a lot of bash
>scripting that I have been doing. I would like to be as cross platform
			.
			.
			.
>2) nifty lambda's or other things to create functions fit for the
>environment
>3) capturing return codes of other executables called from python; ie
>use os.system, or popen? or ?

I don't understand 2); maybe <URL:
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/projects/comar/PythonInPardus.html >
is a response, although I suspect it's at a different level than
you had in mind.

For 3), read <URL: http://docs.python.org/lib/node536.html > on
"Replacing os.system()", although I have several personal quibbles
with details of the subprocess reference documentation.