You advice please

Sonolin michaelmackus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 03:40:27 EDT 2008

On Aug 13, 4:14 am, Hussein B <hubaghd... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> I'm a Java/Java EE developer and I'm playing with Python these days.
> I like the Python language so much and I like its communities and the
> Django framework.
> My friends are about to open a Ruby/Rails shop and they are asking me
> to join them.
> I don't know what, sure I'm not leaving Java, but they are asking me
> to stop learning Python and concentrate on Ruby/Rails.
> The sad fact (at least to me), Ruby is getting a lot of attention
> these days.
> Why Python isn't getting this attention although is a much more mature
> language and it is used by many big, big names?
> And do I dare to say it is much more charming?
> What do you think of Ruby/Rails? do they worth learning and working
> with?
> Any way, I'm not leaving Python and I will try to study it every time
> I get a chance...
> Thanks.

Generally when developing something these days (Web App or not) I have
found that the programming language really does not have a huge affect
on the success of the product.  If the developers are dedicated, they
can generally make most programming languages work.  It just comes
down to what you prefer, or if something clearly is better than the
others use it if at all possible.  For example, when programming a
game, you could easily code it in Python, or C++.  Sure, C++ would be
faster, but sometimes these days speed is not a large factor.  And you
can always just code the complex calculations in C, and the rest in
Python.

So, in short, if you are up to the challenge - take it.  I do not know
Ruby (at ALL), but if some of my friends wanted to develop a RoR app I
would not turn them down for the language choice (Ruby).  There has
been successful Web Apps made in Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, Java, etc. -
they all have their place.  I would much rather code in Python than in
PHP, but most of my Web Programming is done in PHP due to client
preference.

And as for being afraid of "abandoning" Python... I know many
programming languages, and have not abandoned my favorites.  Just
because I know how to code in Visual Basic does not mean I do
regularly.

Hopefully this made some sense - pretty tired ;)

--

http://designandprogram.com
http://twitter.com/sonolin