Difference between type and class

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 1 16:45:10 EDT 2008

Thomas Troeger wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>> class A:
>>>     def bar(self):
>>>         print "A"
>>

>> Alas, you've chosen the worst-possible example to "clarify" matters,
>> because old-style classic classes are *not* unified with types, and
>> will disappear in the future:
>
> Of course I wanted to write `class A(object)', but I keep forgetting
> this one because I'm still used to the old ways...
>
> Will this disappear in Python 3.0., i.e. can you again simply write
> class A:
> and inherit from object automagically?

Yes.
IDLE 3.0b2
 >>> class a: pass

 >>> a
<class '__main__.a'>
 >>> a.__bases__
(<class 'object'>,)

3.0 is really a nicer version.  Once the final release is out, the main
reason to stick with 2.x for new code will be if it depends on
third-party code (including your own ;-) that has not been upgraded.