Teething troubles with Python on a Mac

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Aug 4 00:10:38 EDT 2008

On 03Aug2008 23:14, Avinash Vora <avinashvora at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You will likely cause more problems updating the system python than
>> managing the two separate installations.
>
> That's sadly worrying.

It shouldn't be. It is often useful to have multiple versions of stuff
installed.

Replacing the system stuff means playing in the vendor/distributor's
namespace, and you may expect they to cheerfully and freely tread all
over your changes if something in Software Update wants to.

By keeping a separate Python install you know you are not damaging the
system, and the system will not damage you.

Personally I use python 2.5 from the macports stuff, which installs to
/opt/local. Neatly out of the way. It's all very easy.

>> OSX relies on the version of python they ship.
>
> I think that helps my point--there *are* bug fixes between major
> versions despite the new language changes, and that can really only be a
> good thing.

No, it does not help your point. The OS may rely on a _bug_!  It is best
to keep the OS and the stuff it uses pristine, because the two parts are
shaped to fit each other. They work now, and you're changing something
that works. Whether an "upgrade" changes a bug or a feature is irrelevant
- it changes behaviour.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Zombies don't get pumped.       - Jake, in rec.climbing