exception handling in complex Python programs

Wed Aug 20 09:24:59 EDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:24:45 -0700, eliben wrote:

> """ between file()
> and open() in Python 2 and 3, a NameError is thrown with open() in
> Python 3 and an IOError is thrown in the other three cases <bashes head
> against keyboard>.
> """

I'm curious about the claim that open() will raise NameError in Python3.
I find it hard to credit that claim, but if it is correct, what's the
justification for that?

> This is *exactly* my concern with Python exceptions. You just never know
> what can be thrown at you.

It's true that documentation of exceptions is relatively weak in Python.
And some functions can raise a bewildering array of exceptions. See for
example this thread where somebody notes that urllib2.urlopen() can raise
any of six different exceptions:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2008-April/003187.html

And I've had it raise socket.error, which makes seven. And the
documentation only mentions one of those exceptions.

However, as Gregory Smith describes, some of those seven exceptions are
subclasses of others, so it is possible to reduce it down to three cases
-- and arguably one of those cases (ValueError) is a bug that needs
fixing, not an exception that needs catching.

That's probably as bad as it gets in Python, at least for the standard
library. Most functions don't raise arbitrary exceptions for sensible
data, and if you pass non-sensible data then you should treat the
exception as a bug in your code and fix it.

--
Steven