Missing exceptions in PEP 3107

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 15 18:59:43 EDT 2008

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:

> That's not quite true: PEP 3017 describes a mechanism for annotating
> function parameters *and return values*, and my point was why it does
> not provide a mechanism for annotating thrown exceptions, since I see
> info on thrown exceptions in the same category as info on return values.

I would agree... but...
The problem is that code that uses a function hardly cares whether an
exception that replaces the normal return is raised explicitly, by a
syntax operation (and these are not yet completely documented, though
perhaps they should be), or by a function called within the function.

tjr