Link Checking Issues - Sub domains

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 5 15:16:36 EDT 2008

rpupkin77 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have written this script to run as a cron that will loop through a
> text file with a list of urls. It works fine for most of the links,
> however there are a number of urls which are subdomains (they are
> government sites) such as http://basename.airforce.mil, these links
> are always throwing 400 errors even though the site exists.

Have you looked at urllib/urllib2 (urllib.request in 3.0)
for checking links?
If 'http://basename.airforce.mil' works typed into your browser,
this from the doc for urllib.request.Request might be relevant:

"headers should be a dictionary, and will be treated as if add_header()
was called with each key and value as arguments. This is often used to
“spoof” the User-Agent header, which is used by a browser to identify
itself – some HTTP servers only allow requests coming from common
browsers as opposed to scripts. For example, Mozilla Firefox may
identify itself as "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686) Gecko/20071127
Firefox/2.0.0.11", while urllib‘s default user agent string is
"Python-urllib/2.6" (on Python 2.6)."