The Importance of Terminology's Quality

John W Kennedy jwkenne at attglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 21:22:05 EDT 2008

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:06:28 -0400, John W Kennedy wrote:
>
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> Not necessarily. An awful lot of CPU cycles were used before microcode
>>> was introduced. Mainframes and minis designed before about 1970 didn't
>>> use or need it
>> No, most S/360s used microcode.
>
> I never used an S/360.
>
> I thought microcode came into the IBM world with S/370 and Future Series
> (which later reappeared as the AS/400, which I did use). Didn't the S/370
> load its microcode off an 8 inch floppy?

Some did, but not all. The 370/145 was the first, and made a big splash
thereby.

As to the 360s:

  20  (Incompatible subset)      I don't know
  22  (Recycled end-of-life 30)  CROS
  25                             Loaded from punched cards
  30                             CROS
  40                             TROS
  44  (Subset)                   None
  50                             CROS
  60, 62, 65                     ROS
  64, 66, 67                     ROS
  70, 75                         None
  85                             I don't know
  91, 95                         I don't know -- probably none
  195                            I don't know

CROS used plastic-coated foil punched cards as the dielectrics of 960
capacitors each.

TROS used little transformer coils that might or might not be severed.

ROS means it was there, but I don't know the technology.
--
John W. Kennedy
  "Those in the seat of power oft forget their failings and seek only