HTML Tables

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Aug 18 17:49:38 EDT 2008

Adrian Smith wrote:

>> Just want to know how to create html tables using a for loop.
>> I need to display 34 html tables, so I figured a for loop will do.
>> Please show me an example of how to do that.
>
> for i in range(33):

range(33) returns 33 numbers, not 34 (the upper bound is not inclusive).

>     print "<table border>"
>     for j in range(numberofrows-1):

This is also off by one.

>     print "</table>"

One extra tip: if you're printing arbitrary strings, you need to encode
them (that is, map &<> to HTML entities, and perhaps also deal with
non-ASCII characters).  simple ascii-only version:

     from cgi import escape

(the above inserts extra spaces around the cell contents, but browsers
don't care about those)

The "escape" function from the cgi module only works for (ascii)
strings; to be able to escape/encode arbitrary data, you'll need a
better escape function, e.g. something like:

     import cgi

     def escape(text):
         if isinstance(text, unicode):
             return cgi.escape(text).encode("utf-8")
         elif not isinstance(text, str):
             text = str(text)
         return cgi.escape(text)

The above escapes Unicode strings and encodes them as UTF-8; 8-bit
strings are escaped as is, and other objects are converted to strings
before being escaped.

Tweak as necessary.

</F>