no string.downer() ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 27 23:20:10 EDT 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:

> Not only does one need to be familiar with English, but one
> also has to be familiar with somewhat obscure terms dervied
> from ancient typsetting practices. In other contexts, downer is
> definitely the obvious converse of upper.

Nonsense. Down is the opposite of up, but lower is the opposite of upper
as an adjective: upper level, lower level; upper class, lower class,
upper case, lower case, upper rank, lower rank, upper lip, lower lip;
upper arm, lower arm; upper leg, lower leg; upper house, lower house (of
a legislature); upper layer, lower layer; Upper Paleolithic, Lower
Paleolithic (and so on for other geologic periods; upper Manhattan,
lower Manhattan (and so on for other persiods); upper Mississippi, lower
Mississippi (and so on for other rivers).

Downer, a noun, opposes upper only when upper is used as a noun for
depressing versus stimulating things, most often with reference to drugs
   It is also used to refer to animals that are so sick that they cannot
stand up or otherwise need to be 'put down' (permanently).  But healthy
animals are not called uppers that I know of.

tjr