pyprocessing/multiprocessing for x64?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Aug 5 23:34:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:

> Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>
>> I don't have a 64-bit machine, so I can only go off of what I read. This
>> is
>> from the AMD64 FAQ<
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331_13278,00.html#100144
>> >

> Welcome to the world of marketing. The FAQ just explains that AMD64
> compatible processors can still run 32bit programs. It doesn't say that you
> can recompile your code for 64bit w/o trouble.
>
> It's possible to write software that compiles and works on all sorts of
> platforms and CPU architectures like X86, AMD64, IA64, PPC etc. The Python
> interpreter is a good example.
>
> However one can easily write C code that runs on 32bit X86 CPUs but crashes
> on 64bit systems. The same code may run on a 64bit Linux/BSD system but
> crashes on a Win32 X64 because 64bit Windows defines a long as a 32bit
> datatype, while a long on 64bit Unix systems has 64bits.

I think we are talking about different situations here. You are talking
about compiling the package from source, where the OP might have a problem.
I thought he was talking about the Windows binaries, which should work on a
64-bit system. (the last line of the original message: "*yes, yes, I know.
 download the source and compile it myself")

The only problem I can see is that 32-bit programs can't access 64-bit dlls,
so the OP might have to install the 32-bit version of Python for it to work.