ANN: P4D 1.2

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 06:54:41 EDT 2008

On 12 Aug., 10:50, Uwe Grauer <un... at nospam.onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Kay Schluehr wrote:
> > P4D = E4X style embedded DSL for Python but without E and X.
>
> > The main feature of P4D 1.2 are *Bytelets*. While the primary purpose
> > of P4D 1.1 was the support textual data which can be considered as
> > isomorphic to XML the new release is focussed on binary data. Bytelets
> > are P4D objects that are assembled from hexcode which is reified as a
> > Hex object. Bytelets can also be serialized as Hex objects which makes
> > them apt for low level communication. Bytelets can be used to parse
> > hexcode into other Bytelets of the same structure and Bytelets can be
> > cloned like object prototypes which makes it easy to produce sequences
> > of variations of one Bytelet ( usually you do not derive from a
> > Bytelet but modify a prototype ).
>
> > For more information see:
>
> >http://pypi.python.org/pypi/P4D
> >http://www.fiber-space.de
> >http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/p4d/bytelets.html
>
> That's a really bad name for the project as there is P4D (Python for
> Delphi) already.
> Maybe try to find a different naming to help distinguish your project
> from other meanings.
>
> Uwe

Hmm... using three letter acronyms is a mess. Sorry for this
interference!

Actually "P4D" is not used innocently in the implementation code. It's
also a file extension, a prompt, an XML namespace prefix, a class name
etc. not just a project name and I'm not going to change all this.

I also don't think this is too critical when context has been
established but since the package is also distributed as "P4D" I'm
going to rename it into "P4D Langlet 1.3" in the next release and
adapt the URLs somewhat. I hope this helps avoiding confusion.

Kay