SSH utility

Edwin.Madari at VerizonWireless.com Edwin.Madari at VerizonWireless.com
Mon Aug 11 08:17:28 EDT 2008

for similar tasks, I use pexpect http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pexpect.

spawning bash process and simulate an interactive session. Here sending ls command, retrieving results and exiting. In the spawned process ssh or any other command, is just another command.

------------actual session--------------------------
$ python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 18 2007, 16:56:43)
[GCC 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)] on cygwin
>>> import pexpect
>>> c = pexpect.spawn('/bin/bash')
>>> c.expect([pexpect.TIMEOUT, pexpect.EOF, '\$ '])
2
>>> c.before, c.after
('\x1b[?1034hmadared at NJWARHQD0IT696A:~\r\n', '$ ')
>>> c.sendline('ls')
3
>>> c.expect([pexpect.TIMEOUT, pexpect.EOF, '\$ '])
2
>>> c.before, c.after
('ls\r\x.txt  xx.txt  xy.txt  y.txt\r\nmadared at NJWARHQD0IT696A:~\r\n', '$ ')
>>> c.sendline('exit')
5
>>> c.expect([pexpect.TIMEOUT, pexpect.EOF, '\$ '])
1
>>> c.before, c.after
('exit\r\nexit\r\n', <class 'pexpect.EOF'>)
>>> exit()
madared at NJWARHQD0IT696A:~
$

hope that helps.