Writing to ms excel

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Aug 31 01:37:54 EDT 2008

On Aug 31, 12:37 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> Only because we treat it as standard. You had no hesitation to write code
> that relies on people having Excel installed, and yet you didn't want to
> rely on an open source free software package that anyone with a fast
> Internet connection or a CD drive can install in just a couple of
> minutes. You don't even need to reboot the PC.

Consider that there are parallel universes to yours, where big brother
severely limits access to the Internet, where staff have to sign
rather draconian agreements about their use of the company facilities,
where desktops are scanned nightly for contraband (the finding of
which will cause the brownshirts to drop in for a quick game of hands-
knees-and-bump-your-exe), where even the mention of seditious material
like OpenOffice might result in a trip to the desert provinces for re-
education ... the cause is better advanced IMHO by staying under the
radar and crawling under the wire; tub-thumping soapbox-mounting
ranters however correct and righteous are likely to suffer a fate
similar to that of Michael Servetus.

Marin is allowed to use Python; he's doing very well compared to some.

They-scrubbed-all-programming-languages-off-the-production-machine-
that's-why-I-have-csv-routines-written-in-awk-ly yours,
John