Are dictionaries the same as hashtables?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Aug 26 12:14:22 EDT 2008

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> I don't know the exact names of the involved structures - I named them
> liberally from my understanding of how associative arrays based on hashing
> are implemented. But the below code shows that hash-collisions can occur
> without corrupting data

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_addressing

"Open addressing, or closed hashing, is a method of collision resolution
in hash tables. With this method a hash collision is resolved by
probing, or searching through alternate locations in the array (the
probe sequence) until either the target record is found, or an unused
array slot is found, which indicates that there is no such key in the
table."

</F>