os.system question

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Aug 13 16:03:49 EDT 2008

Mike Driscoll wrote:

>> I note 3.0 runs os.popen without complaint (and had thought to mention
>> that in my previous).  Right now I'm wondering whether I should
>> install the beta 2.6 to see whether Wotjek is pulling our leg or
>> not. :)
>
> That was the wording I was referring to. Now that I re-read it, I
> guess it doesn't say "deprecated" per se, but it seemed to imply it.
> And I think one of the Python luminaries said as much (Holden or
> Lundh) in one of their old posts last year.

not talking for the 3.X developers here, but os.popen is a binding to
the POSIX popen function, so I'm not sure it makes that much sense to
actually deprecate it.

the os.popen[234], popen2, and commands stuff are different -- they're a
a series of attempts to provide more functionality by building on
lower-level primitives, something that the subprocess module does a lot
better.

</F>