Using two pythons in an application

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Tue Aug 5 08:39:34 EDT 2008

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:36:40 -0500, Larry Bates <larry.bates at websafe.com`> wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>> I'm in the process of developing an application that will use Python for
>> a scripting support.  In light of the upcoming changes to Python, I was
>> wondering if it is possible to link to and use two different versions of
>>  Python so that in the future, scripts could be migrated to the new
>> version, and older scripts would still work as well.  If so are there
>> any code examples of this.
>>
>> Brian Vanderburg II
>
> Unlike languages you pay for, Python has on real motivation to "obsolete" old
> versions of Python (e.g. to force you to pay of an upgrade).  You can still get
> version 1.5.2 of Python and it is MANY years old and most could consider quite
> obsolete.

Except at some point

- security bug fixes will stop coming for very old Python releases
- people will become used to the new, improved syntax and hate to use
  old versions
- new versions of third-party modules will not be compatible with old
  releases

So there *is* pressure to upgrade, sooner or later. But the time scale
is several years, not months.

> I just would not worry about it and stick with 2.5/2.6 for
> development and begin looking at Python 3.0 so I can learn what's new and exciting.

Yeah.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.se>          R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!