very large dictionary

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 5 16:15:43 EDT 2008

Simon Strobl wrote:

> Well, as I was using Python, I did not expect to have to care about
> the language's internal affairs that much. I thought I could simply do
> always the same no matter how large my files get. In other words, I
> thought Python was really scalable.

Python the language is indefinitely scalable.  Finite implementations
are not.  CPython is a C program compiled to a system executable.  Most
OSes run executables with a fairly limited call stack space.

CPython programs are, when possible, cached as .pyc files.  The
existence and format of .pyc's is an internal affair of the CPython
implementation.  They are most definitely not a language requirement or
language feature.

Have you tried feeding multigigabytes source code files to other
compilers?  Most, if not all, could be broken by the 'right' big-enough
code.

tjr