Setting my Locale

Robert Rawlins robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 06:52:21 EDT 2008

Good morning Guys,

I'm running python 2.5 on a Debian based system and I'm looking for your
advice on how to set the locale for my application. I've read through the
locale module documentation http://docs.python.org/lib/module-locale.html
and tried a couple of the examples but can't seem to get it working.

For instance, when I attempt to run the following code:

import locale

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')

I get an exception raised by the application which says:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "locale_test.py", line 2, in <module>

    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/locale.py", line 478, in setlocale

    return _setlocale(category, locale)

locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

My questions are; what would be causing this error? Do I need any additional
packages installed on the system for this locale support to work properly?
How can I get a list of available locales?

Many thanks for any advice guys,

Robert