pyprocessing/multiprocessing for x64?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Aug 5 21:09:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:

> Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>
>> I'm not an expert on this, but I think that anything written for x86 (32
>> bit) machines can run on x64 machines.
>>

> Become an export - say the opposite :)

I don't have a 64-bit machine, so I can only go off of what I read. This is
from the AMD64 FAQ<http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331_13278,00.html#100144>

*Q:**What is AMD64?
**A:*AMD64 is AMD's 64-bit platform that extends the industry-standard x86
instruction set architecture and defines a new class of computing.* The
AMD64 platform is the first designed to deliver full compatibility with
existing x86 solutions* and world-class 64-bit performance. In April 2003,
the AMD Opteron™ processor for servers and workstations became the first
milestone in establishing this new class of computing. AMD introduced the
world's first Windows(R)-compatible 64-bit desktop and mobile processor, the
AMD Athlon™ 64 processor, in September 2003, and AMD Turion™ 64 mobile
technology in March 2005. The range of AMD64 processors for servers,
workstations, desktops and mobile PCs allows pervasive adoption of the AMD64
platform. AMD64 replaces terms such as "Hammer" (now "AMD64 Platform") and
"x86-64" (now "AMD64 ISA").

*Q:**What is the AMD64 instruction set architecture?
**A:*The AMD64 ISA is an AMD innovation that extends x86, the industry's
most widely supported instruction set, and is designed to enable 64-bit
computing while* remaining compatible with the vast x86 infrastructure* and
industry experience. AMD's 64-bit strategy allows the latest in processor
innovation to work smoothly with the existing installed base of 32-bit
applications and operating systems, while establishing an installed base of
systems that are 64-bit capable. This permits the industry to advance
software development on all fronts, with x86 compatibility, while providing
the benefits of 64-bit technology.