Filling in Degrees in a Circle (Astronomy)

W. eWatson notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 02:18:17 EDT 2008

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Aug 22, 7:12 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Is there some simple operational device in Python that would allow me to
>> create an array (vector) of 360 points from my data by interpolating between
>> azimuth points when necessary? All my data I rounded to the nearest integer.
>> Maybe there's an interpolation operator?
>
> There's nothing built in, but see the bisect module.  It is a good way
> to determine which interval you are in, and you can interpolate the
> points yourself.
>

> Carl Banks
I'll take a look. I just posted above yours with a more insightful set of
data than the first three pointer. Yes, some way of bisecting, or chopping
is the trick here. One is just trying to fill in all the gaps with
interpolation and produce 360 points to feed to the telescope software. It's
sort of like giving someone, and forgetting interpolation here, the sequence
20, 30, blank, 60, 70, 80 and asking for the two missing tens between 30 and
60. 40 and 50, of course.

The fellow above wrote an interpolate function that will probably fit the bill.

                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>