eval or execute, is this the (most) correct way ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 11:26:56 EDT 2008

hello,

I'm trying to make an editor with an integrated Shell.

 >>So when type:
2+5
7

 >>When I type:
myvar = 55
myvar
 >>I want the value of myvar:
55

So AFAIK, sometimes I've to use eval and sometimes I need exec,
so I use the following code (global / local dictionary parameters are
left out in this example):

    try:
        print eval ( line )
    except :
        exec ( line )

Is this the (most) correct / elegant way, or are there better solutions ?

I read somewhere that exec is going to disappear,
and noticed that in 2.5 (I just updated to) the doc is already disapeared,
is this no longer possible in Python 3 ?

thanks,
Stef Mientki