Writing to ms excel

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Aug 31 08:24:59 EDT 2008

On Aug 31, 7:21 pm, Alessandro <nos... at nospam.nospam> wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
> > xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read (not "interface
> > with") Excel xls files. There is a currently active project to add
>
> Can xlrd *read* xls files?

Follow the bouncing ball and sing along with me:

"""xlrd is still doing what it was designed to do: read Excel ... xls
files."""

The "rd" in xlrd is a contraction of ReaD.

> As far as I have used PyExecelerator, it can only *create* xls file.

I can't imagine why you would think that the extent to which you have
used pyExcelerator has any bearing on its capabilities. In any case
pyExcelerator has an ImportXLS.parse_xls function, which is rather
embryonic compared to that of xlrd.

> I'm viewing the xlrd sources, but I can't find the file loading function
> and there is no examples about it.

The "file loading" function of xlrd is called "open_workbook" and is
in __init__.py. Have you considered reading the documentation for
xlrd? Have a look at the file runxlrd.py, which not only acts as a
diagnostic and dump utility, but also is a fairly rich source of
examples of what you can do with the Book object returned by
xlrd.open_work_book().

Could you possibly be viewing the source for xlwt (wt being an
abbreviation of WriTe)? xlwt is a fork of pyExcelerator. In the
current version in svn, ImportXLS has been so severely deprecated that
it has vanished, which might explain why you can't find a "file

> I'm going to join the python-excel group

I'm going to look forward to our next communication.

Cheers,
John