Any tips on Python web development on Mac OS

Tim Greening-Jackson zen167520_AT_zen_co_uk
Tue Aug 5 04:41:43 EDT 2008

Hi there.

I've recently learned Python -- but would by no means describe myself as
expert -- and have a couple of "pet" projects I want to do in my spare
time in order to consolidate what I've learned by using it to solve
"real" problems.

I'd like to create a couple of websites on my Mac at home. I have a very
basic understanding of HTML, but am lazy and would prefer to do the work
either in Python itself or have some package I can use in conjunction
with Python.

So I need some sort of tool which can help me design the "look and feel"
of the website, together with something that will help me generate the
content. So I can produce the template for the pages (i.e. put this
button/text here, and on rollover it changes colour and on click it goes
to...) and also do "smart" things like take user feedback etc. etc.

I've had a very quick look at the Django and Turbogears websites. Is it
worth learning one of these for a small, simple site? Will they actually
help me set up the structure of the site, or are they more geared to its
content.

I've also seen an open-source package for the Mac called Locomotive, but
this appears to be a framework for Ruby on Rails and I don't want to
learn Ruby.

I'm also trying to find/download HTMLgen. If I try to install the
version from macports it tries to downgrade my installation of Python to
one of the previous versions. Is it worth using and where can I find a
copy that I should be able to build/install cleanly on a Mac.

I'm running:

Python 2.5 (r25:51918, Sep 19 2006, 08:49:13)

on an elderly iMac G5 which runs Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)

Any tips, pointers etc. would be gratefully received.

T.