exception handling in complex Python programs

eliben eliben at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 08:40:23 EDT 2008

On Aug 21, 12:40 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> eliben a écrit :> On Aug 19, 7:19 pm, eliben <eli... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Python provides a quite good and feature-complete exception handling
> > <snip>
>
> > Thanks for the interesting discussion. Armed by the new information
> > and few online sources, I blogged a summary for myself on the topic of
> > robust exception handling in Python:
>
> >http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2008/08/21/robust-exception-handling/
>
> A couple comments (mostly python-specific, so I post them here):

Thanks for the feedback. My comments below:

> """
> When used for flow-control, exceptions are like goto. There might be a
> few esoteric cases in which they’re appropriate, but 99.99% of the time
> they are not.
> """
>
> Python itself uses exceptions for flow control in iterators.

Yep, I'm aware of StopIteration, but I'm not sure whether it's a good
or a bad feature. I'm a bit wary of the programming style it might
encourage in inexperienced programmers. When this behavior is hidden
inside the implementation of 'for', fair enough. But when you have to
catch exceptions just to walk over some iterable explicitly, I'm not
sure the designers of this Python feature made the correct choices
here.

> """
> For some exceptions, like programming errors (e.g. IndexError,
> TypeError, NameError etc.) exceptions are best left to the programmer /
> user, because “handling” them will just hide real bugs.
> """
>
> Depends on the context. There are cases where you expect these kind of
> errors - like when dealing with program inputs, inspecting objects etc.
> As a Q&D example:
>
> while True:
>      raw_num = raw_input("enter a number")
>      try:
>          num = float(raw_num)
>      except TypeError, ValueError:
>          print "sorry, '%s' is not a valid number" % raw_num
>      else:
>          # ok
>          break

I agree.

> """
> This is also the reason why you should be extremely careful with except:
> clauses that catch everything. These will not only catch the exceptions
> you intended, but all of them.
> """
>
> And remember that SysExit and KeyboardInterrupt *are* exceptions too...
>
> """
> Document the exceptions thrown by your code
> """
>
> If you mean "the exceptions *explicitely raised* by your code", then I
> agree. But with any generic enough code, documenting any possible
> exception that could be raised by lower layers, objects passed in as
> arguments etc is just plain impossible. Like, if you have a function
> that takes a file-like object as arg, you just cannot know in advance
> what exceptions this object might raise.

This is one of the main concerns with which I started this c.l.py
thread ! I think it's a pity that we have no way of anticipating and
constraining the exceptions thrown by our code, and that we should
strive to make it more explicit. The "function accepting a file" is a
case in point. You know what you do with this file, so why can't you
know what exceptions might be thrown ? If you're trying to open it,
IOError (and OSError ?), etc. Besides, as I noted in the article,
perhaps you want to hide some of inner-level exceptions in your own,
to keep encapsulation.

Eli