PIL (etc etc etc) on OS X

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 4 19:59:47 EDT 2008

David C. Ullrich wrote:
> Just as well that the message sent earlier today
> seems to have been lost...
>
> Ok. Read your instructions on libjpeg. Read some
> of the install.doc. ./configure, fine. make, fine.
> "make test", fine. So I said "sudo make install"
> and this happened:
>
> 0-1d-4f-fc-28-d:jpeg-6b dullric$ sudo make install
> Password:
[...]

I had to do the following to build and install it in a way such that PIL would recognise
it. But it does now, without changing anything in PIL's setup files.

$ cd jpeg-6b/
$ ln -s `which glibtool` libtool
$ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
$ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-static --host=powerpc
$ make
$ sudo make install

(note that I have a PPC mac so the host parameter may not be correct for your system)
--irmen