os.readlink() doco snafu?

JBW wilson at afn.org
Wed Aug 20 15:11:51 EDT 2008

English is my first language, but I doesn't be very good at it.

I was trying to endow my symlinked python module with the ability to
divine where it actually resides when I came across os.readlink(),
documented at http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html

I'm not sure readlink() lives up to its documentation.  To wit:

$ touch bar		# Create an empty file
$ ln -s bar foo		#   And a symlink to it.
$ python
Python 2.5.1 <... Herald "the snitch" Redacted ...>
>>> import os, os.path
>>> path = "foo"
>>> result = os.readlink(path)
>>> result
'bar'
>>> abspath = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(path), result)
>>> os.path.isabs(abspath)
False
>>> abspath
'bar'

The result makes sense, but it belies the documentation. Should I report
this?  Or is there another plausible interpretation?