regex question

Fred Mangusta aaa at bbb.it
Tue Aug 5 06:39:36 EDT 2008

Hi,

I would like to delete all the instances of a '.' into a number.

In other words I'd like to replace all the instances of a '.' character
with something (say nothing at all) when the '.' is representing a
decimal separator. E.g.

500.675  ---->       500675

but also

1.000.456.344 ----> 1000456344

I don't care about the fact the the resulting number is difficult to
read: as long as it remains a series of digits it's ok: the important
thing is to get rid of the period, because I want to keep it only where
it marks the end of a sentence.

I was trying to do like this

but I don't know much about regular expressions, and don't know how to
get the two groups of numbers and join them in the sub. Moreover doing
like this I only match things like "345.000" and not "1.000.000".

What's the correct approach?

Thanks
F.