Why doesn't import work?

Sean DiZazzo half.italian at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:40:55 EDT 2008

On Aug 4, 3:34 pm, ssecorp <circularf... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have in Lib/site-packages a module named pdfminer. when I do import
> pdfminer it complains:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in <module>
>     import pdfminer
> ImportError: No module named pdfminer
>
> I created a file pdfminer.py and put it in site-packages and that
> works.
>
> so I apparently can't import a directory pdfminer. In the directory
> pdfminer there are 3 other directoriees and inside them python-files.
>
> how would I import them?

Make packages?

I just (finally) got around to learning this the other day...

make a file called __init__.py in each of you lib subfolders
in each do something like:

all = ["file1.py", "file2.py", "file3.py"]

Then you should be able to import each directory as a package, and
access the individual modules.

~Sean