Books to begin learning Python

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:08:11 EDT 2008

On Aug 6, 2:56 pm, Edward Cormier <ecormier... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Which computer books are the best to begin learning Python 2.5 with?
> I've heard that Learning Python 3rd Edition is a good choice - can
> anyone give any more advice on this?
>
> Thanks.

There's lots of good books to read, including a few online ones. A lot
of people like "Dive Into Python" (http://diveintopython.org/). If you
want LOTS of information and some good code examples, Lutz's
"Programming Python 3rd Ed" is great. Chun ("Core Python Programming")
has a book that's almost as large, but it's more text than examples.

If you want just short snippets of code to learn from, try the Python
Cookbook series or just go to the site those books are based on:
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/

"Python Power!" and "Beginning Python" are good too with the latter
having some interesting projects at the end. There are a lot of other
topical Python books on XML parsing, web programming, Win32, Tkinter,
wxPython and even SqlAlchemy!

Mike