os.system question

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Aug 13 19:54:14 EDT 2008

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> not talking for the 3.X developers here, but os.popen is a binding to
> the POSIX popen function, so I'm not sure it makes that much sense to
> actually deprecate it.
>
> the os.popen[234], popen2, and commands stuff are different -- they're a
> a series of attempts to provide more functionality by building on
> lower-level primitives, something that the subprocess module does a lot
> better.
>
> </F>

I think the 'commands' module is nice--it's very handy in parsing output
from a 'fire-and-forget' system call. I'd hate to see it removed entirely.

I'm also skeptical of the value of subprocess, at least as a complete
replacement for os.popen (the original version): it currently provides
no way to set a 'non-blocking' mode. I make heavy use of this kind of
call in my code:

self.file = os.popen('do stuff here'), 'r', os.O_NONBLOCK)

Having this kind of capability built into the language strikes me as
important. If subprocess lacks it, and one has to go to the ActiveState
cookbook to implement similar functionality, then it's hard for me to
embrace it as a replacement.

N.B: I develop on a Unix-like system (Darwin/MacOS), so others
understand where I'm coming from.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin