Pythoncom and pywintypes

Vistro vistro at vistro.net
Wed Aug 27 20:17:22 EDT 2008

Hey, there. I've been coding in python for about three weeks now. I have
made basic games, tools to check forum PMs for me, and other general
utilities with python, but I'm now encountering problems.

I want to do that, and I have installed both sets needed from source forge,
but I always get this issue when I run the code, and there isn't a single
listing on the internet that addresses this.

****

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Documents and Settings/Guest Editor/Desktop/key.py", line 3, in
<module>
    import pythoncom
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\pythoncom.py", line 2, in <module>
    import pywintypes
ImportError: No module named pywintypes

***

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-511211.html With the code:

import winsound
import pyHook
import pythoncom

def funkytown(event): #Play Funky Town
    if event.Key == 'Back':
        winsound.Beep(38, 3000)
        winsound.Beep(392, 100) #Frequency (Hz), Duration(ms)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(392, 100)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(349, 100)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(392, 300)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(294, 300)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(294, 100)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(392, 100)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(523, 100)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(494, 100)
        winsound.Beep(38, 100)
        winsound.Beep(392, 200)

hm = pyHook.HookManager()
hm.KeyDown = funkytown
hm.HookKeyboard()
pythoncom.PumpMessages()

I've installed pythoncom right from the box. I don't know whats wrong, but
I'm sure it has something to do with my stupidity.

BUT, here is the strangest part.

# Magic utility that "redirects" to pythoncomxx.dll
import pywintypes
pywintypes.__import_pywin32_system_module__("pythoncom", globals())

That is ALL that pythoncom.py seems to be. ALL that.

I think that it's trying to import something, THEN tell the interpreter
where it is. That seems kinda stupid.

Anyway, what have I done wrong, and how do I fix it?