How to delete a ast character from a string?

dudeja.rajat at gmail.com dudeja.rajat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:25:48 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've a list some of whose elements with character \.
I want to delete this last character from the elements that have this
character set at their end,

I have written a small program, unfortunately this does not work:

dirListFinal = []
for item in dirList:
            print item
            if item.endswith('\\') == True:
                item = item[0:-1]         # This one I googled and
found to remove the last character /
                dirListFinal.append(item)
            else:
                dirListFinal.append(item)

item.endswith() does not seem to be working.

Please help
--
Regrads,
Rajat