How to delete a last character from a string

dudeja.rajat at gmail.com dudeja.rajat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:28:40 EDT 2008

Sorry : Earlier mail had a typo in Subject line which might look
in-appropriate to my friends

Hi,

I've a list some of whose elements with character \.
I want to delete this last character from the elements that have this
character set at their end,

I have written a small program, unfortunately this does not work:

dirListFinal = []
for item in dirList:
           print item
           if item.endswith('\\') == True:
               item = item[0:-1]         # This one I googled and
found to remove the last character /
               dirListFinal.append(item)
           else:
               dirListFinal.append(item)

item.endswith() does not seem to be working.

Please help
--
Regrads,
Rajat