Python in a Nutshell -- Book vs Web

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Thu Aug 28 19:58:12 EDT 2008

In article <b2f0ce20-418f-470a-a9e0-ec0d49da3d0c at a8g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Matimus  <mccredie at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Aug 28, 3:05 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I read an Amazon of Python in a Nutshell. The first edition is supposedly
>> much like the web site. What web site? The second edition apparently adds
>> more to the book than the web site.
>
>O'Reilly seems to just read all of the available documentation and
>regurgitate it in book form. The "in a nutshell" series being the
>worst offender. Most of "Python in a Nutshell" tells you the same
>information that you can find at http://docs.python.org, which is
>probably "the web site" being referenced.
>
>Matt

No.  No, to an almost libelous extent.

As <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur0303j/ >
hints, the first edition of *PIAN* included abundant material
that was found nowhere else.  Senior Tcl developers recognized
*PIAN*'s unique values to such an extent that they snapped up
the second edition quickly when it became available.  It's
simply mistaken to characterize *PIAN* as merely a regurgitation
of the available documentation; in fact, while hewing to the
style of its series, it's among the most *original* and well-
crafted of books on Python.