Books to begin learning Python

Mark Summerfield m.n.summerfield at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 8 03:09:41 EDT 2008

On 7 Aug, 21:10, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 7, 1:12 pm, Beliavsky <beliav... at aol.com> wrote:

> > > There's lots of good books to read, including a few online ones. A lot
> > > of people like "Dive Into Python" (http://diveintopython.org/). If you
> > > want LOTS of information and some good code examples, Lutz's
> > > "Programming Python 3rd Ed" is great.
>
> > I have the 2nd edition. Has the 3rd edition been rewritten so that all
> > of its code will be valid in Python 3? I'd prefer not to buy Python
> > books that will become obsolete.
>
> As Wojtek already pointed out, Lutz's 3rd edition is written with 2.x
> in mind. I think it's 2.4 or 2.5, but I forget exactly which. Still,
> most programming books are "obsolete" almost from the day their
> printed. I'm not aware of any Python 3.0 books...

I'm writing a Python 3 book that will be published as soon as possible
after Python 3.0 final is released (so hopefully November). It assumes
programming experience in _some_ language (not necessarily Python 2).

"Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python
Language" ISBN 0137129297

The table of contents and a link to some (out of date) sample text is
here:
http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html