Newbie problem inserting into MySQL

len lsumnler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:54:44 EDT 2008

Hi All

I have started a little pet project to learn python and MySQL.  The
project involves figuring out all the combinations for a 5 number
lottery and storing the data in a MySQL file.

The file looks like this;
+----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------
+----------------+
| Field    | Type                | Null | Key | Default |
Extra          |
+----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------
+----------------+
| lottryid | int(11)             | NO   | PRI | NULL    |
auto_increment |
| lottryno | char(10)            | YES  |     | NULL
|                |
| no1      | tinyint(3) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL
|                |
| no2      | tinyint(3) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL
|                |
| no3      | tinyint(3) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL
|                |
| no4      | tinyint(3) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL
|                |
| no5      | tinyint(3) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL
|                |
| nosum    | tinyint(3) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL
|                |
| nohits   | int(10) unsigned    | YES  |     | NULL
|                |
+----------+---------------------+------+-----+---------
+----------------+

The code looks as follows;
#!/usr/lib/env python

import MySQLdb
import datetime

db = MySQLdb.Connection(host="localhost", user="lenyel",
passwd="lsumnler", \
db="lottery")

cursor = db.cursor()

cursor.execute('delete from littlelottery')

listofrec = []

tupcnt = 0
print "first tuple created"
for a in xrange(1,36):
    for b in xrange(2,37):
        for c in xrange(3,38):
            for d in xrange(4,39):
                for e in xrange(5,40):
                    tupcnt += 1
                    thekey = ('%02i%02i%02i%02i%02i' % (a,b,c,d,e))
                    mysum = a + b + c + d + e
                    rectuple = tupcnt, thekey, a, b, c, d, e, mysum, 0
                    listofrec.append(rectuple)
                    if tupcnt % 10000 == 0:
                        print "beginnign of mysql write"
                        print datetime.datetime.now().time()
                        cursor.executemany('''insert into
littlelottery
                        values (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)''', listofrec)
                        db.close()
                        print "end of mysql write"
                        print datetime.datetime.now().time()
                        os._exit()

print "insert into mysql completed"

i get the following error on insert;
raise errorclass, errorvalue
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting
Script terminated.

Do I have to covert all of the fields in the tuple records to string
or what?

Len Sumnler