Launch an application and continue the script's execution

Marian Popa marian_popa2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 06:16:40 EDT 2008

Hello,
I am new in Python programming and I have the following problem:
I have a script in which I need to open an application (called from a batch file - "trace.bat"). For this purpuse, I'm executing the following piece of code:

import os, win32process
from win32api import Sleep
from ctypes import windll, c_double
amt = windll.LoadLibrary("D:\\Marian\\Proiecte\\AMT\\Libs\\AMT_Temp_DLL.dll")
amt.InitUIForDLL()
amt.SetKL30()
Sleep(1000)
amt.SetKL15()
Sleep(1000)

os.chdir("D:\\Marian\\Proiecte\\AMT\\Trace")
os.startfile("launch_trace.bat")
#subprocess.call("D:\\Marian\\Proiecte\\AMT\\Trace\\trace.bat")
#pr = win32process.CreateProcess(None, "D:\\Marian\\Proiecte\\AMT\\Trace\\trace.bat", None, None, 0, win32process.NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, None, None, win32process.STARTUPINFO())
print "OK!!!"
But, when I call the "os.startfile("launch_trace.bat")" command, the program prompter appears, but the program called in the batch file is opened ONLY after the whole script has finished the execution.
Unfortunatley, after this line there are some very important things that has to be executed in the right order. I mean, the execution of the batch file is important for the rest of the code.
What is strange is that if I execute this code step-by-step, using the debugger, or if I put a breakpoint on the "launch_trace" line and then I step on it, everything is working fine - the Trace application is launced correctly.
Could anyone help in this direction? I need to launch the application and after this I want to continue the execution of the script.
Thank you in advance!
P.S. I've also tried with processes (see the commented lines) and I get the same problems; for MSWord application, the behavior is the same - it is launched after the script ends. Also, I have to mention that I don't have a DLL of this application and it is not a COM application in order to control it from Python.
Marian