very large dictionary

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 09:47:17 EDT 2008

Simon Strobl  <Simon.Strobl at gmail.com> wrote:
>I tried to load a 6.8G large dictionary on a server that has 128G of
>memory. I got a memory error. I used Python 2.5.2. How can I load my
>data?

Let's just eliminate one thing here: this server is running a
64-bit OS, isn't it? Because if it's a 32-bit OS, the blunt
answer is "You can't, no matter how much physical memory you
have" and you're going to have to go down the database route
(or some approach which stores the mapping on disk and only
loads items into memory on demand).

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
        -- Arthur C. Clarke